Skip to main content

I Have An Awesome Blogger Friend

The other day I came across something called the Chevy Nova Awards. They're called that in honor of the General Motors fiasco in trying to market this car in Central and South America. "No va" means, of course, in Spanish, "it doesn't go".



The following are the top three Chevy Nova nominees:


1) The Dairy Association's huge success with the campaign "Got Milk?" prompted them to expand advertising to Mexico. It was soon brought to their attention the Spanish translation read "Are you lactating?"


2) Coors put its slogan, "Turn It Loose," into Spanish, where it was read as "Suffer From Diarrhea." Yeah I can relate to that!


3) Scandinavian vacuum manufacturer Electrolux used the following in an American campaign: "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux." Hmmm...


If you wanna see the rest, hit up this site.


Speaking of awards, last week, right out of the blue, I received an Awesome Blogger Friend award from a fellow blogger.



ettarose at Sanity on Edge, I guess in a moment of blogger bathos (Oooo...nice alliteration/thank you) picked a couple of folks to pass this on to...





...myself included. This means a lot 'cause she's one helleva lady. For instance she won a custody battle for her grandkids. Kudos for your love.

And she writes this marvellous blog called The Voices where she posts about the situation in Darfur and civil rights issues elsewhere in Africa. Kudos for your passion.

Recently, she was laid off from a job she'd worked at for over 25 years. Kudos for your fortitude.

And, if that weren't enough, she still cranks out a very funny humour blog at Sanity on Edge. Kudos for your sense of humour.

And you must have a great sense of humour, Susan, if you give this award to me. Because, to me, YOU'RE the awesome blogger friend. Cheers...and thanks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congrats on the award! It is most deserving and what a nice shout out to Ettarose!

I didn't know about The Voices blog. Hmm. I'll have to go check it out.

She is an awesome woman, and you are an awesome man.

"No lie!"

hee hee
Anonymous said…
Ettarose is the greatest!
Unknown said…
Nice one on the award!
I think the world would be a far better place if, instead of asking, "How are you?", we substituted the question, "Are you lactating?"

And congratulations on the award, and for knowing what to do with it when you win one.
Donnie said…
If I'm going to place an ad in a foreign country, I'm calling a national from that country to design it. It's the only safe way to go. Unless he hates Americans. Congrats on the award from Ettarose too. She doesn't give those out too frequently.
To paraphrase another ad slogan...

"Nobody doesn't like ettarose!"

What a woman!
Skye said…
I have to admit, that I hadn't known about her blog "The Voices" either. I too will have to go and check that one out.

Kudo's to you for the award Noname, I'm sure you deserve it immensely :)
nonamedufus said…
Quirks: She's great.

thinkinfyou: Ditto

Chris: Thanks man.

MikeWJ: Beats "what's your sign?"

Don: She's pretty special.

CatLady: I agree.

Skye: The Voices is a fascinating blog that I discovered through ettarose's tweets.
Skye said…
I have now been to the Voices Noname and I have to say thank you! One more blog to add to my "learning" blog list :)
nonamedufus said…
Skye: More folks should read it for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies