Skip to main content

Signs An Athlete Is Over the Hill


As we grow older some of us do silly things. The silliest of all, perhaps is to not admit we may be getting over the hill. Here's a quick joke to reinforce my point.
****
Arthur is 90 years old. He’s played golf every day since his retirement 25 years ago. One day he arrives home looking downcast. “That’s it,” he tells his wife. “I’m giving up golf. My eyesight has gotten so bad that once I’ve hit the ball, I can’t see where it went.” His wife sympathizes and makes him a cup of tea. As they sit down, she says, “Why don’t you take my brother with you and give it one more try.” “That’s no good,” sighs Arthur. “Your brother’s a hundred and three. He can’t help.” “He may be a hundred and three,” says the wife, “but his eyesight is perfect.” So the next day, Arthur heads off to the golf course with his brother-in-law. He tees up, takes an almighty swing, and squints down the fairway. He turns to the brother-in-law. “Did you see the ball?” “Of course I did!” replies the brother-in-law. “I have perfect eyesight.” “Where did it go?” asks Arthur. “I don’t remember.”

Funny joke, but it helps underline that the golfer with the failing eyesight should have just admitted his faults and failings and thrown in the golf towel. What is it with over-the-hill athletes who refuse to call it quits? Lord knows they have enough fame and fortune. Is it ego? Duh!

The most recent over-the-hill athlete - and if he's not over-the-hill he's certainly on it - is Packers, er, ah... Jets, uhh... oh yeah, Vikings QB Bret Favre. This guys retired and unretired twice in the last 2 years. Has Brett taken one sack too many? This guy's gonna be 40 years old next month. If he makes it through the season and takes his guys to the Superbowl in February he'd be the oldest quarter back ever to play in that playoff match. Good luck with that, old man.
While some athletes don't know when to quit playing others don't know when to shut up.
Michael Jordon was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame last Week. Was the greatest man that ever played the game gracious and appreciative of this honour? Well it was sure hard to tell from the speech he gave. He crapped all over former coaches and players, mentioned his kids as an afterthought and later told reporters and the world there'd never be another Michael Jordon. Give it a rest Michael. You were a great player. But that was then. Now you're over the hill.
Last weekend, one of the most revered woman in all of tennis - save her sister - Serena Williams showed she was getting over the hill...at the age of 27...when she let loose at a line judge over a call she made against her at the US Open and threatened to ram a tennis ball where the sun don't shine and I quote: "Down your fucking throat". So much for "love" in tennis.

And some dude named Kanye pooped all over MTV VMA winner Taylor Swift (metaphorically speaking) when he stormed the stage, grabbed the microphone from her and told all assembled Beyoncé should have won. Someone should tell Kanye he Kantye.


If these last two aren't over the hill, they're sure over the line. (Well Serena was, literally!) They apologized later, but the damage was done.
But to come full circle, back to getting over the hill and not knowing when to call it a day, I think that great actor and philospher of our times Burt "don't touch my toupee" Reynolds kinda summed it up on when vain, egotistical individuals should call it quits when he said:

Retirement must be wonderful.
I mean, you can suck in your stomach for only so long.
Or let your head expand...




For more "over the hill" perspectives drop by Theme Thursday today.

Comments

California Girl said…
Hahahahahahaha!

good stuff! You are so right. My first visit to your blog. Is that you in the photo? No, really?
Canadian Blend said…
Everybody should spend a summer or two putting up hay in a barn. I think they'd appreciate, then, just how lucky they are to get paid to play a game or dance around on stage. Mabye they'd be a bit more polite and thankful then. (Maybe not ... perhaps the world is full of rude farmboys and I've just not met them yet.)
Brian Miller said…
ha. i hope that when i get over the hill i know it, though i am sure i will fight it all the way. it was sad to listen to jordan. i grew up watching him and now its just sad...
Dreamhaven said…
Some people are so full of themselves that it comes out their rears. MJ should be ashamed of himself. Happy TT
Ed & Jeanne said…
Athletes and egos...couldn't we just have the former without the latter...
Chris said…
That was spot on, Mr. Dufus, especially the Favre bit. I haven't seen Jordan's speech, but I might just have to look that up. I've never been a huge Jordan fan, and I lost respect for him when he hung on with the Washington Wizards.

This post was an absolute ACE!

Oh, no, wait. You foot-faulted.
nonamedufus said…
California Girl: I hope you'll be back. (Afraid photo's not me.)

Canadian Blend: I know what you're saying.

Brian: Yeah, Jordon could have been more gracious but I guess that's just not his style.

Dreamhaven: You've hit the nail on the head.

VE: I don't think so. And the higher the salary the bigger the ego it seems. They need to check brain before putting mouth in gear.

Chris: You think so, eh? I'm gonna come over there and ram this keyboard down your @#%&#^* throat!
Wings1295 said…
Hah! That was a trip around. Kanye is, IMO, just OVER.
RIGHT ON!!!!!

But then I wonder...when I truly AM over the hill will I know by looking in the mirror or do I need to set up someone to tell me???
nonamedufus said…
Wings: Imma let you finish but Kanye's a pompous poopyhead. What an idiot.(imo)

Jill: For you and me, the less we know the better.
Anonymous said…
Brett Favre is so old he is eligible to still wear the one bar helmet.
Anonymous said…
That was a great post Noname! Spot on and funny!

Loved it.

And the Williams girl?

So glad she showed some class.

Gah.

Athletes. Who they think they are?

Rockstars?

Ha!
nonamedufus said…
lotgk: And I don't think it gives him the same protection as those new helmets. He may have had one concussion too many.

Quirks: Hey thanks ma'am. I don't know if you saw the videos of Serena, MJ and Kanye but if you put them together they'd be the Three Stooges, fer sure.
Baino said…
Very good. I saw all those incidents but the Kanye West exploit was just idiotic. Bit scary to think that 40's over the hill but I guess technically it's well over middle age for most!
nonamedufus said…
Baino: In many sports you're past your prime by your mid 30s. In music you're only as good as your last hit record.
Sara said…
Great take on the subject this week!

Kanye is a jackass, Williams acted like one, and Bret Favre...well, I think he just LOVES football, I think it's so much a part of how he defines himself that not playing would be worse than playing badly. He's had a great trek up the hill, I wish him the best on the way back down.
Leeuna said…
Kantye. {snort} That was a good one. And I can't stand puffed-up, self-important people like MJ.
nonamedufus said…
Sara: "Kanye is a jackass" I guess Obama was right!

Leeuna: The thing with MJ is sad - very, very sad. His actions at the investiture, rather than on the court, will be my final memory of the man.
Sara said…
Great take on the subject this week!

Kanye is a jackass, Williams acted like one, and Bret Favre...well, I think he just LOVES football, I think it's so much a part of how he defines himself that not playing would be worse than playing badly. He's had a great trek up the hill, I wish him the best on the way back down.
That was spot on, Mr. Dufus, especially the Favre bit. I haven't seen Jordan's speech, but I might just have to look that up. I've never been a huge Jordan fan, and I lost respect for him when he hung on with the Washington Wizards.

This post was an absolute ACE!

Oh, no, wait. You foot-faulted.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies