Skip to main content

All The News That Wasn't Fit To Print

Every once and a while I'll wander off the front pages of newspapers and turn away from prime time newscasts to, as Lou Reed so aptly put it, take a walk on the wild side. There's a whole other world out there beyond politics and current affairs and luckily for you I'm here to guide you through some of the wackier headlines and stories. Here, gentle reader, is the latest edition of...noname news.



Some headline writer somewhere had a field day with this story - a pumpkin field to be precise.


Giant pumpkin squashes competition in California weigh-off, sets new state record


I thought that was a really gourd one! Oh by the way, the giant jack o' lantern weighed 1,658 pounds. It's owner's now a real heavyweight in the pumpkin growing business.


***


Spoon in June under a bright full moon. Tin Pan Alley songwriters used to try their best to find rhymes for moon. But there was no rhyme or reason for this moon. In a story headlined


Once in a black and blue moon...


we are told of a young German fellow who, upon being ejected from a train for not having a ticket decided to moon train employees and proceeded to press his bare butt up against the train window. Alas his pants got caught on a carriage door (and he's lucky that was all he caught) and the naked nincompoop got dragged 200 meters out of the station and down the tracks. All I can say is what a bummer - end of story.


***


Talk about a golf course water hazard. A golfer in Beaufort, South Carolina lost part of his arm when he went to retrieve his ball out of a pond. Turns out a 10 foot alligator called that pond home. Gives new meaning to the phrase golf handicap. And if he continues to play, I guess you'd say you really have to give the guy a hand!


***


Born with half a brain, woman living full life


This headline jogged my memory, you might say. It tells the tale of a woman who suffered a pre-natal stroke that left her with the use of only half of her brain. However, by the age of 27 her doctors determined that her brain had virtually rewired itself. Why did this jog my memory? Because my mother would always wag her finger at me and say "Why I have half a mind to..." (insert parental threat here) And I'd think to myself "Mom, if you had half a mind you'd be dangerous!"


And that's this installment of noname news. We now return you to our regularly scheduled blog.

Comments

Love the noname news! Now I won't have to read the paper or watch television ever again... if it's newsworthy, you'll tell me. Thanks, Dufus... you're a real pal!
nonamedufus said…
CatLady: Thank you, I aim to please. Mirth for the masses!
Me-Me King said…
These are all great stories! I am especially interested in seeing the follow up to the alligator in a golf course pond. How in the world did it get there?
Anonymous said…
Ha!

Great picks Noname.

There are plenty of "dufuses" out there and it's great to have them pointed out to us.

BTW, I think I bear the same affliction as the half-brained woman.

hee hee
nonamedufus said…
Me-Me: I love the odd stuff. You couldn't make this stuff up!
Donnie said…
Spooning in June under a bright moon? Uh, apparently spooning has different meanings. I'll pass on that one. I used to take a week off and go to Beaufort. Rented a home. No doubt. They have nice balls there.
Love fat boy shooting off in your sidebar. Sorry. That sounded as bad as spooning under a bright moon.
I was born with half a brain and yet I function like somebody with one-quarter of a brain. Fucking scientists. They can shove it.
nonamedufus said…
Don: Yeah, yeah spooning can lead to forking, I know. I hope you stayed away from the golf course in Beaufort.
nonamedufus said…
MikeWJ: Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose my friend.
Unknown said…
I love these kinds of stories. You don't have to strain a molecule to read them. How about that balloon flight eh? The dad did it for publicity. Did you see today the baby stroller that rolled in front of a train? The engineer slowed down the train and dragged the stroller a ways but the baby was fine. Weird shit huh?
nonamedufus said…
ettarose: I saw both those stories. Weird stuff but it beats politician's and talk show host's infidelity. I mean, who cares?

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies