Skip to main content

A Sign

I'd been driving for what seemed like hours.  At the outset the trip had gone smoothly.  Because we'd left home early, the roads had been largely empty.  Everything was smooth sailing.  We'd made good time.

We'd enjoyed the scenery along the way and had brought along some CDs of enjoyable music.  It was just the two of us and the trip afforded my wife and I an opportunity to chat now and then, catching up on each other's lives and compare notes on issues of the day.

I knew the way to the border.  The route was simple and straight-forward to follow since we'd travelled it several times before.  The highways and interchanges were clearly marked.  And before we knew it were were stopped and chatting with the U.S. Customs agent about our summer vacation.

But now it had been hours since we'd passed the border and as we motored along nothing looked familiar.  We'd made this trip to Ogunquit on several occasions, the last time being about four years ago.  I thought I could make this trip with my eyes closed.  Maybe I had.  Maybe that was the problem.  Whatever the problem, I was lost.  But like all great male drivers, I wasn't going to admit it.  And I certainly wasn't going to stop and ask for directions.

Travelling from Canada to Ogunquit, Maine, one has to - oddly enough - drive briefly through New Hampshire and then go North into southern Maine.  I'd remembered seeing the signs for New Hampshire, but that was some time ago.

Where were we?  I needed an indication that I was on the right highway.  A hint that at least I was going in the right direction.  What would I say if my wife asked me how longer it would be?  If she did ask me then she'd know I hadn't a clue; that I was lost.  What could I do?

And then I was struck by divine intervention.  It was help from above.  Praise the Lord, it was...a sign.


This week Theme Thursday is going with "sign".  Drop by and see what other bloggers have written about this theme.

Comments

The older I get, the more often I find myself driving on "automatic pilot". My car naturally seems to know where to go. But every once in awhile I panic, suddenly remembering I'm not going to the usual place, even though the automatic pilot is taking me there. It's the car's fault, of course!
Moooooog35 said…
You drove through New Hampshire and didn't even bother to visit?!

Crushed.

CRUSHED.
nonamedufus said…
CL: I once read a story about a guy who engaged the speed control on his RV and got up and went to make himself a sandwich. Needless to say the RV didn't know the way to go...and he never got his sandwich.
nonamedufus said…
Moooooog: That was before I knew you lived there. When my kids were little (a long time ago) they used to call it New Hamster. I'll have to stop by next time!
Canadian Blend said…
When I lived in NH a buddy called to say he'd be in Maine and that we should get together. When I asked what part of Maine he'd be in he replied, "Does it matter? How big can Maine be?"

I told him he needed to take a look at a map.
nonamedufus said…
Canadian Blend: 210 mi wide by 320 mi long. Yeah, I'd say you might want to narrow it down.
Me-Me King said…
Oh, I just love a leisurely road trip. Even if I am to "get lost" it is well worth a drive down the road less traveled.
nonamedufus said…
Me-Me: Yep, there's always so much more to see and enjoy on the road less travelled, isn't there?
Donnie said…
Yep. That's Ogunquit alright. Bet you were sweating that out, huh?
nonamedufus said…
Don: Sometimes all you need is a sign...to point you in the right direction. This sign was a sign!
California Girl said…
And what, pray tell, are you doing in Ogunquit?

I think it's funny too the way I-95 enter NH, then loops around back into ME. It took me a long time to get used to that.
nonamedufus said…
California Girl: I'm not there now, but we often go there for summer vacation. Lovely spot.
Ha! That's pretty funny. My wife were once on our way to Wichita, Kansas when we got lost and ended up way off course in Oklahoma. We never did figure out that happened. Getting a Garmin may have saved our marriage, although we still get lost even with it on the dash.
nonamedufus said…
Mike: Those things will always get you lost! But at least you can tell your wife it's not your fault...
Baino said…
Haha . . .I did a similar thing a few weekends ago and somehow just followed my nose to until I saw a familiar sign!
nonamedufus said…
Baino: A-ha. It was a sign!
Jaime said…
what is it that stops all of you guys from asking for directions? :) at least you found your sign before needing to admit to being lost.
nonamedufus said…
Jaime: Real men don't ask for directions...it's a mental defect they have.
Moooooog35 said…
You drove through New Hampshire and didn't even bother to visit?!

Crushed.

CRUSHED.
Canadian Blend said…
When I lived in NH a buddy called to say he'd be in Maine and that we should get together. When I asked what part of Maine he'd be in he replied, "Does it matter? How big can Maine be?"

I told him he needed to take a look at a map.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies