Skip to main content

If I Can Keep My Head While All About Me Are Losing Theirs...



Ssshhhh! Don't tell anyone but you see this plane? Yeah, I'm on it. Seat 8-D. I'll be landing in Panama this afternoon, meeting up with my brother-in-law, and taking off for his beach front property in the Bijao resort in Santa Clara. I didn't want to tell you sooner for fear of jinxing things.

Some of you may recall how my earlier plans for a six week Panama sojourn were dashed when my hematologist refused to let me go in December. Well, my latest blood work results show a vast improvement. No cause for concern. And my next doctor's appointment is in late March. So, hey, I've decided to squeeze in a couple of weeks on the beach, in the ocean and at the golf course in central America.

And I've left poor Mrs D behind working hard at the office. I think if she has some spare time she's gong to paint the kitchen. That'd be a nice treat for my return. Isn't she swell?

I've worked hard for this. I've followed my doctor's directions. Watched what I've eaten. Exercised. Drank plenty of fluids (including the odd Corona). I've trained hard.

And it's fitting that now I've finally made it to the homeland of Balboa.

Rocky Balboa

No not that Balboa! Vasco Nunez de Balboa. He's the guy who made the very first trip across the isthmus of Panama to the Pacific Ocean. There are all kinds of things named after him in Panama. Statues, streets, trees, my brother-in-laws' condo building (no shit) and - most importantly - beer!

But I'm not going to over extend myself. After all, things didn't end well for Balboa. Unlike Rocky, poor Vasco was beheaded. A misunderstanding to be sure. Nevertheless, I intend to keep my wits, and my head, about me.

That's why I've been practicing my Spanish.

"Dos Balboa cervezas por favor"

Comments

Quirky Loon said…
I'm happy you're going on your vacay, but I'm much happier to hear that your latest blood work show great results!

That, my friend.... is HUGE!

Stay thirsty my friend. HA!
Lindamedrano said…
I am so happy you are finally getting your real vacation. Now, just cause I'm very fond of you, I'm giving you another phrase in Spanish to amaze your friends and astound your neighbors. Repeat after me: "Donde estas los gatos negros?" You are so welcome! Have fun but wear sunscreen!
Cheryl P. said…
Good for you to take a trip. Sounds fun...well fun for you, anyway. Maybe not so much fun for Mrs. Dufus.

See you are prepared with the "Dos Balboa cervezas por favor". Be sure to know the "Dónde está el baño, por favor?" as well.
Ziva said…
Oh, how wonderful for you to get away from the cold dreary winter! Enjoy the sun, the sand, the warm water and lazy days in Central America, Dufus. Oh, and don't mind the rest of us poor souls trying to make it through winter here while you're drinking beer on the beach, you little shit.

Seriously, though, I'm very extremely happy to hear that your blood work results show an improvement, you definitely deserve a vacation now.
Brett Minor said…
Enjoy your trip. I am a little jealous. My brother left for Brazil yesterday.

One day I will travel.
meleahrebeccah said…
HOOOOOORAY!! Have an amazing vacation! I can't wait to hear all about it. Safe travels.
Kablooeyquest said…
Excelente, senor. (I owe you an en-yay)
Shawn said…
I'll drink to your health.
Well, I'll drink for anything. But this time I will drink to your health.
nonamedufus said…
Thanks, Quirks. Right now lifers good. And I've already begun to quench that thirst.
nonamedufus said…
Yeah, you've got watch out for those black cats, especially after a few cervezas. Ha. I thought you were telling how to ask for a black coffee until I read the phrase to my brother-in-law. But thanks.
nonamedufus said…
Are you kidding. Like Mrs D keeps saying I'm giving her a holiday too! Yeah I think finding the men's room is more important than looking for a black cat as Linda suggested. Unless of course they're in the men's room.
nonamedufus said…
I don't mind you Ziva. Not at all you little bitch. And I'll be thinking of you as I partake in the sand, surf and suds.
nonamedufus said…
Well, hold that thought. My flights down here were a disaster of missed connections. I'm going to enjoy myself while I'm here, now. But I'm not looking forward to the trip back.
nonamedufus said…
Thanks, Meleah. I really am thrilled I could finally pull this off.
nonamedufus said…
I had to Google en-yay.Nnnnno problem.
nonamedufus said…
Why not? That's what I'm doing. Thanks, Shawn.
meleahrebeccah said…
I am soooo happy for you!
Nicky said…
Your blood work is good and everything is good and so you left for PANAMA instead of coming to Montreal and having a cheeseburger with us?

It's like I don't even know you Dufus.

Glad to hear you're doing well!
nonamedufus said…
But it's warm here. Warmer than Montreal. We still have a date for that cheeseburger.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies