Skip to main content

The Rain in Maine Was Largely on the Wane



The weather for our week in Ogunquit was gorgeous, despite forecasts of rain. Our routine pretty much consisted of an early breakfast, morning on the beach, a late lunch, shopping or sightseeing in the afternoon and a late dinner. And most of those meals, of course, were seafood. Lobster, lobster rolls, crab rolls, steamed and fried clams, shrimp, escargots, fish and chips - if it came out of the water we ate it. In fact we joked "if we sea food, we eat it". My diet starts tomorrow...as long as I don't sea food.



Early in the week we went to Kittery, south of Ogunquit, where all the outlet stores are. I spent the afternoon buying more t-shirts and golf attire than I needed but man at those prices why not. I also saw a most unique outlet. One that specializes in dresses for barn women!



The highlight of our week was when Mrs. D and I drove down to Rye, New Hampshire to meet up with fellow blogger Cheryl Duford. You guys remember Cheryl; from that Million Days of Photos challenge back in April. Cheryl was that fabulous photographer from Deckside Thoughts. Well she and I had been chatting on Facebook and set up a meet at "Petey's Summertime Seafood and Bar" for lunch. Mrs D and I had, yep, seafood. Cheryl, a local, had chicken. Cheryl is an absolutely wonderful person with a gracious demeanour and a killer smile. Thanks for the great conversation and the delightful lunch, Cheryl.




You know, we had fun at the beach each day, visiting Ogunquit, Footbridge and Wells beaches. But no matter where we went we encountered the same phenomena. As the tide came in each day, the people closest to the water would pick up their chairs, umbrellas, towels an so on and quickly scurry back up the beach, like a bunch of lemmings, out of the way of the waves. The opposite would happen when the tide went out. The other thing we encountered were what Mrs D calls Los Tabernacos. This is any group of 8 or more Quebeckers - and there were a gazillion of them - who plop their things right down beside you and converse with each other as though the person they're talking to is 50 yards down the beach. This may be a cultural thing but the ongoing consumption of alcohol under the hot sun might have something to do with it.



Speaking of alcohol we went on a cocktail cruise out of Perkins Cove. The cove is home to local fishing boats, has a couple of restaurants and some jewelry and souvenir shops. The boat wasn't named the Minnow, so it wasn't a three hour tour. But over the course of an hour it was a three beer tour and after the two I had dockside waiting for the tour I was in fine shape at the conclusion of the trip.



And what does one have for dinner at the end of such a day? Well, you can't go wrong with more sea food...and a beer!






Comments

Cheryl P. said…
That all sounds fun. Especially all the sea food. There is no truly fresh sea food in the middle of the country despite all the promises that say otherwise.
I think it is nice when bloggers get a chance to meet. Great pictures, BTW!
Quirky Loon said…
Love seeing and reading your zest for life and seafood!


Myself? Seafood gives me a horrible rash and the "D." And I ain't talking Dufus. heh heh
Linda Medrano said…
One thing I adore on the east coast is sand dabs. We get them here in restaurants rarely. I love sea food too, but I like mine with a nice buttery chardonnay. It looks like you and your beautiful wife had a marvelous vacation! Cheryl needs to put on a mini-skirt with those mile long legs!
Shawn @ www.StubbornFool.com said…
Looks great! Can't beat the coast, seafood and beer. I'll be writing up a review of my trip down to the Cape shortly.
The outlet stores in Montreal and area are lousy. Found a true outlet mall in Massachusetts with a lot of great savings.
nonamedufus said…
Thanks, Cheryl. We had a wonderful and relaxing time. We got a lot of sun and ate way too much seafood. Cheryl D. was an absolute joy to meet.
nonamedufus said…
Oh, Quirks. Sorry you have to "run" from seafood. It is delicious.
nonamedufus said…
We did have a marvellous time. And we managed to wash all that seafood sown with the appropriate libation. Cheryl was an absolute treat.
nonamedufus said…
The outlet stores in Kittery, Maine, just north of Portsmouth, New Hampshire had some really great deals.
Nicky said…
What gorgeous pictures! I love the one of Cheryl taking a picture of you, but the one of the two of you talking is my favourite. Isn't it wonderful meeting blog buddies? Now I think the two of us need to stop traveling so FAR to meet blog buddies!! When's the next time you're going to be in town?
babs (beetle) said…
Looks like you had a wonderful time! There's nothing like really fresh seafood. It's something I haven't had since moving away from the seafront.
nonamedufus said…
The iPhone camera strikes again. It was great to meet Cheryl and putting a face - and -voice - to the name.


We drove north of Montreal yesterday on our way from Trois Rivieres! We wanted to avoid all the construction Montreal has to offer. But Mrs D's son lives there so maybe next time we're going to head down I can give you a heads up. I'd love to get together.
nonamedufus said…
Oh, we had died and gone to heaven. The seafood was scrumptious.
P.J. said…
Love the dress barn women sign. Awesome stuff. And seafood... sheesh how I would love to have a seafood diet!

Especially with a good beer!
nonamedufus said…
I couldn't get over that sign. I mean "Barn Women"? And the seafood was delish.
Jayne said…
Being a horsewoman, I'm totally intrigued with that sign. It would be worth a trip to Maine just to check out the goods. Actually, I very much want to visit Maine, but I'm in California and it would require flying and I refuse to endure a cavity search to go anywhere. If only Maine would come to me. Thanks for sharing it with me.
nonamedufus said…
That sign just made me laugh. I don't think the store's for horse women. I think it's for horsey women.


I'll pick you up. We can drive cross country together.
Jayne said…
That sounds like a plan I could go for. I have cousins who are flying from San Francisco to Vancouver, then taking a train all the way across Canada. I'd love to do that, too.
nonamedufus said…
That would be a gorgeous trip. The scenery, particularly over the rockies, is just beautiful.
meleahrebeccah said…
I am so happy y'all got to meet up and hang out in REAL LIFE! Totally-super-awesome!!!!

PS: Now I'm craving lobster!
jannaverse said…
Now I'm craving crab cakes.

And... I must be hungry, because for some reason "Los Tabernacos" makes me want tacos.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies