Skip to main content

Bibliofile



Lest you think I can't spell I thought I'd remind folks that the title I use for this post each month is my way of updating you on the file of books I've been reading. It's just my way with words, or non words, if you will. I mean, of korse I cahn spell.

Of course, the title might have come from the picture in this post. Then, though, it would have been Biliopile. But I digress.

Anyhoo, I started off the month with a lengthy look at rock promotor Bill Graham. As a music lover I found this book fascinating, full of anecdotes of his relations with the major rock acts of the day. As the owner of the Fillmore East and West he saw them all. I also enjoyed learning a little bit about the man himself.

The rest of February was taken up with an escape to Narnia. C.S. Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia in the 1950s. I'd never read them as a child and until now my only reference point was the 2005 movie The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

I loved them, all seven of them. I can see how their escapism would appeal to pre-teens...and old men such as myself!

So the eight books this month plus the six I read in January brings me to 14 books so far this year. I've set a goal of 75 books this year and I'm sure I can reach it.

And in case you think all I do is read, this month I discovered a raft of British TV shows on On Demand. Five Days, Utopia, Life's Too Short and The Hour were among the series I got through. I enjoyed them all.

Here are the books I read:

Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock and Out - Bill Graham, Robert Greenfield
The Chronicles of Narnia Book 1: The Magician's Nephew - C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia Book 2: The Lion, The With and The Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia Book 3: The Horse and His Boy - C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia Book 4: Prince Caspian - C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia Book 5: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia Book 6: The Silver Chair - C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia Book 7: The Last Battle - C.S. Lewis

How about you?

Comments

Jayne said…
Good Gawwwd, man... You put me to shame. I knew Bill Graham, worked in the recording office downstairs from his. Don't recall a day he was not screaming about something. Crazy man, but the godfather of the SF music scene.
Billy Graham was a rock promoter?! Hmmm. The things you learn... ;) I read The Chronicles of Narnia as a child, at least I think I did or most of them anyway, but I know Kim tried them within the last few years and couldn't get into them. Maybe I'll have to try/retry them. Why I say I'm not sure if I remember is because only recently did I learn that I never had read To Kill A Mockingbird. I thought I had but then went to look at the book and realized it didn't look familiar. I had seen the movie but never read the book, but the movie was pretty faithful to the book, with the exception of the n-word being used, and both were great in my opinion. With The Chronicles of Narnia, I know I read several of them and maybe even have read the last one. I just don't remember if I read all of them. I do know I read The Lord of the Rings...several times in my teens, almost every summer for a few summers.
nonamedufus said…
It never ceases to amaze me the contacts you've made, Jayne. Amazing. A shouter. Yeah, that's the reputation the man had.
nonamedufus said…
The other Bill Graham, dummy. You know, Bryan, as I get older I find I have more time on my hands to connect with things I may have missed out on earlier in life be it children's literature, 60s and 70s music, classic bestsellers and what have you. Part of the reason I enjoyed Chronicles is it helped me utilize my inner child. Kinda neat, eh?
Jayne said…
Scared the be-jeezus out of everyone. And yes, it would seem that I've led many lives. No wonder I'm so tired.
nonamedufus said…
I'm impressed. You deserve at least a nap.
Cheryl said…
I don't think I've ever read a fantasy book in my entire life. My mom stopped reading to the oldest of us when we were young so we were pretty much on our own. I read the Little Golden Books and skipped right over everything else in favor of mysteries: Bobbsey Twins, a bit of Nancy Drew but more of the Hardy Boys, then headed straight for Mark Twain, Ellery Queen's & Alfred Hitchcock's short story magazines that kicked me into high gear with Rex Stout, Ed McBain, and the rest.
nonamedufus said…
I was a big fan of Classic comics as a kid. Wasn't a big reader but watched stuff like Spin and Marty and other Disney fare. I've read several Rex Stout novels. Thanks for the reminder. I'd like to revisit.
Narnia's always fun... I enjoyed the books more than the movies. (And thanks for the list of things to add to my Netflix queue.)
nonamedufus said…
The Hour was brilliant. Kind of like The Newsroom but set in post-war Britain with soviet spy overtones. I love British stuff. The original House of Cards was good too.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies